The purpose of the Vanuatu National Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Sector is to ensure the adequacy, coherence and effectiveness of overall humanitarian outcomes by mobilising all stakeholders who are working for disaster management preparedness, response and recovery in the WASH sector.
The objectives of the Vanuatu WASH Cluster include:
- Reduction in morbidity and mortality cases due to WASH-related diseases;
- Restoration of normalcy in the lives of affected populations by providing safe access to and ensuring use of water, sanitation and hygiene in emergency situations in collaboration with partners;
- Planning and implementation of proportionate, appropriate and timely WASH responses in humanitarian crisis situations which will address both the immediate needs of the affected populations as well as planning for future needs and improved disaster resilience;
- Facilitate effective sharing of information amongst agencies and organizations, including local organizations and local government partners involved in WASH response efforts, preparedness and recovery;
- Ensure adequate WASH contingency and preparedness planning;
- Ensure coordination of the emergency WASH programmes and activities amongst the partners engaged in emergency response including non- members and local partners;
- Address disruption in the provision of existing government services during emergencies and liaise accordingly with government partners;
- Ensure that early recovery planning as well as prevention and risk reduction concerns are addressed and incorporated where possible at all stages of emergency planning and response; and
- Liaise and coordinate with other Clusters as required.